Michal specializes in competition law (including antitrust defence and counselling, merger control and distribution matters) and regulatory matters, with a particular focus on financial services, electronic communications, energy, consumer protection and data protection/cyber security.
He also has significant experience with compliance matters, conducting compliance audits and risk-sensitive internal investigations and the representation of clients in court proceedings and before the European Commission and other public authorities.
He has also participated on a number of significant Slovak and cross-border M&A transactions and advises clients on general corporate matters.
Michal joined White & Case in 2006.
Ranked as a Next Generation Partner for Commercial, Corporate and M&A.The Legal 500, 2021 - 2022
Bars and courts
Slovak Bar Association (advokát)
- LLM, Ghent University Law School, Belgium
- Master’s degree, Faculty of Law, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
LanguagesSlovak, English, French, Czech
- Advising Citibank and J.P. Morgan (who acted as financial advisers, joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners) in connection with the dual-track sale by the Government of the Slovak Republic of its 49% stake in Slovak Telekom, a.s. by way of an IPO (with a contemplated listing on the London Stock Exchange and Bratislava Stock Exchange) and further by private sale.
- Advising Slovenský plynárenský priemysel, a.s., a leading Slovak gas supplier, on competition matters related to the establishment of a full function joint venture with ČEZ ESCO, a.s., a leading provider of energy efficiency services, including the merger clearance process before the European Commission and the Slovak Antimonopoly Office and the merger clearance of the acquisition of the remaining Slovak business of ČEZ, a.s.
- Regular advice to a major Slovak telco operator on a wide range of competition and regulatory issues.
- Representation of a major Japanese producer of electronic devices in two investigations of alleged cartel conduct by the Slovak Antimonopoly Office and in the subsequent court challenge of the sanction decisions imposed by the Office.
- Advising BNPP Personal Finance SA and its Slovak banking branch (formerly Cetelem) on the cross-border merger of Cetelem into BNPP PF and related regulatory matters.
- Advising a significant financial institution on internal compliance investigations and competition and privacy matters.
- Advising a leading CEE insurance group in connection with its bid to acquire the CEE assets (including those in Slovakia) of a competing CEE insurance group, including advice on related proceedings before the National Bank of Slovakia.
- Advising to clients from a broad range of sectors on data protection matters and GDPR implementation, including sector-specific data processing, international data transfers, processing of personal data in sensitive contexts and cybersecurity matters.